Blacktown Meals on Wheels is a non-profit organisation that provides a meal delivery service to frail, older people (aged 65 years and over, or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), people with dementia and who need assistance with daily living to remain living independently at home and in the community. Clients must also reside in the Blacktown Local Government Area.
Access to services is available through My Aged Care, the Australian Government entry point to the aged care system. My Aged Care will conduct a holistic assessment and identification of long-term goals.
Contact 1800 200 422 for more information or visit the My Aged Care website at www.myagedcare.gov.au
Special Needs Groups
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme recognises the following special needs groups, which align with those identified under the Aged Care Act 1997:
– People from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
– People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
– People who live in rural and remote areas
– People who are financially or socially disadvantaged
– People who are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless
– People who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex
– People who are care leavers
– Parents separated from children by forced adoption or removal
The identification of particular groups recognises that each person is unique and has different beliefs, values and life experiences, and that for some people, these differences may result in barriers to accessing or using our services.